> Subphylum Vertebrata > Class Mammalia
updated Oct 2016
seen? These marvellous creatures are still
regularly sighted in the waters of our Southern Islands. According
to Davison, these dolphins have been observed among our Southern Islands
in the Singapore Straits, as well as near our northern shores in the
Johor Straits. Globally, they are found in Africa, Asia and Australia,
in seas, estuaries and river mouths. They have been seen in freshwater
and upstream in large rivers.
Features: Head and body
length 120-280cm, up to about 140kg. Long narrow jaws filled with
teeth, broad tail flukes (45cm), with a dorsal fisn (15cm tall) and
pectoral fins (30cm). Colours may be brown, grey, black above and
paler beneath. Some may be whitish, speckled or freckled. They are
sometimes also called Pink dolphins.
What does it eat? Feeds mainly
on fish, as well as cephalopods (octopus, squid and cuttlefish).
Dolphin babies: Baby dolphins
are about 100cm long at birth and suckle on their mother's milk for
about two years.
Status and threats: This dolphin
is listed as 'Endangered' in the Red List of threatened animals of
Singapore. Like many other marine mammals, these dolphins are threatened
by drowning in fishing lines and fishing nets. They are also affected
by pollution and loss of feeding habitats due to reclamation, coastal
development and human activities on our coasts and seas.
sightings of dolphins in Singapore: newspapers
sightings of dolphins in Singapore: social media
- From the
wild shores of singapore blog.
- All sighting now compiled under the tag: 'mega fauna'
- Happy National Day with dolphins, sea turtles and dugongs! (Aug 2018)
- Sea turtles and dolphins in Singapore waters! (May 2018)
- Singapore got dolphins and sea turtles (Apr 2018)
- YES! Singapore got dolphins, sea turtles and dugongs (Aug-Sep 2017)
- Wild celebrations with dolphins, sea turtle and dugong (Aug 2017)
- Singapore got wild dolphins and dugongs too (May 2017)
- Singapore got sea turtles, dolphins (April 2017)
- Celebrating National Day with dolphin sightings (Jul-Aug 2016)
- Dolphin sightings (May-Jun 2016)
- Wild dolphin sightings in March 2016 (25 Mar 16)
- Dolphins sighted between St John and Lazarus (6 Mar 16)
- Singapore has sea turtles? Dolphins! (3 May 15)
- December of Dolphins (10 Dec 14)
- Wild dolphins! Sea turtles! In Singapore waters! (16 Sep 14)
- Special sightings since 2010: dugong, dolphin, sea turtles and more! (20 Oct 13)
- Singapore has wild dolphins, otters, dugongs, sea turtles and more! (18 Mar 13)
at Semakau, shared by Goh Peihao on 27 Mar 11
through jaw, dead 'dolphin' washed up at East Coast on 21
spotted off Changi beach! on 22 Jul 08
- Dolphins sighted off Raffles Lighthouse on facebook (10 Dec 14)
- Dolphins sighted off Tanjung Rhu on facebook (1 Dec 14)
- Dolphins sighted at St John's Island on facebook (5 Nov 14)
of Indo-pacific hump-backed dolphins on 14 Mar 2013 by Mei
Lin on her Psychedelic Nature blog.
- Indo-pacific bottlenose dolphins, Singapore Straits (2012)
and details of recent sightings May 06 on Jani's The Blue Tempeh
washes up at Marina South May 06 photos and more details on Debby's
spotted off Raffles Lighthouse (6 Jan 06)
sighted off St. John's Island (2 Sep 05)
humpbacked dolphin carcass on Labrador Beach (15 Jun 05)
off St. John's island (1 Feb 05)
off Pulau Senang (4 Jan 05)
sighting at Sisters islands (22 Jun 04)
sighted off St John's Islands (12 Mar 04)